Skip to main content

Poetry Inspired By Mentor Poets- Structure & Patterns




In my eternal quest for poetry mentor texts that will support the sometimes tentative writing efforts of emerging student poets (and their teachers), I came across this poem by John Rice. It was part of a collection ‘Poems to Perform: A Classic Collection Chosen by the Children's Laureate,’Julia Donaldson.




The poem has a simple repetitive structure that provides a safe scaffold for the less experience poet. Students immediately note the please do -please do not pattern and the way the poet finishes with a line that breaks the pattern, yet neatly ties the poet’s thoughts together. It’s as if he has an afterthought. They also noted the element of humour the poet had injected into the poem. For young poets, the presence of humour heightens engagement.


Instructions For Giants


Please do not step on swings parks, youth

clubs, cinemas and discos

Please flatten all schools

Please do not eat children, pop stars, TV

soap operas, kind grannies who give us 

50cents

Please feel free to gobble up dentists

Please do not block out the sunshine

Please push all rain over to France

Please do not drink the public swimming
pool

Please eat all cabbage fields, vegetable plots and anything green that grows in the countryside!

Please do not trample kittens, lambs or other baby animals

Please take spiders and snakes, ants and beetles home for your own pets

Please stand clear of the jets passing
Please sew up the ozone layer

Please mind where you put your BIG feet

And no sneaking off to China when you’re playing hide and seek.

John Rice

 The next step was to show students (in this case, Grade 4 students) how one can improvise upon the structure of the original poem. I decided to write my poem focusing on instructions I would give to a crocodile.  I certainly borrowed from the original structure but also added a few of my own moves.


Instructions For Crocodiles


Please stay out of the swimming pool


Please don’t get snappy when things don’t


go your way


Please close your mouth when eating


Please consider becoming a vegetarian


Please stay away from my backyard


Only go after nasty folk


Please consider becoming a handbag


Please clean your teeth, swamp breath


And don’t be so thick-skinned about things


I have never, ever smiled at you


Seriously… 

                                                         

Alan j Wright


When I presented the two poems I invited a comparison. I invited students to look for similarities and differences. At this point I talked about writing in the style of a trusted author, or writing under the influence of a fellow writer. We used our poet’s eyes to note the craft moves being made within the poem.


As part of the critical pre-writing phase of a lesson, I challenged students to brainstorm a list of possible subjects to whom instructions could be given. They came up with monsters, aliens (quite predictable) parents, teachers, siblings (their word) pets (quite an array) and prime ministers.


Each young poet then made a decision regarding the focus for ‘instructions.’ Following this, I had them rehearse their words with a partner. I wanted them to hear the words before they wrote. I then released them to write. They set about the writing with enthusiasm and delight. I noticed how several of these young poets were smiling as they wrote. It appeared they were entertained by their own thoughts as they composed their pieces. At the conclusion of the workshop the eagerness to share was also most notable. Their raw words were a delight. I suggested that they revisit their poems the next day to view them with fresh eyes and ears. I encouraged them to continue to polish their words and work towards publishing and sharing their poems with a wider audience. My young audience was nodding in agreement.



Rereading the raw words of  our first drafts to hear them as a reader would hear them. This provides a perfect opportunity to begin polishing our poetic pearls.


To conclude, I have attached Tenaya’s poem. She informed me that she wanted to write her instructions from the perspective of a boy with a younger sister. Her poem has captured  the structure of John Rice’s poem as well as  capturing the mindset of the aggrieved older brother.




Instructions For Little Sisters

Note To All Little Sisters! 

Please do not torture me with your little pink frilly dresses

Please don’t make me sit down and drink fake tea and talk to stuffed animals on a plastic table and chairs in your room

Please colour in your own colouring book, not mine

Please don’t sing to me, you make my ears bleed

Please dress the dog up as a prince, instead of me

Please don’t scream at me

Please don’t show me your castle pictures

Please watch Ben 10 instead of The Little Princess

Please don’t kill my pet worms

Please don’t step on ants

And don’t cry in front of me

Tenaya. F.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Cycle -A football poem by Bruce Dawe

This poem by Australian poet Bruce Dawe epitomises the unique connection sporting tragics have to their preferred football teams, -an almost tribal allegiance. Each season supporters stare down the twin imposters- victory and defeat. They remain both loyal and hopeful of eventual triumph. This poem refers specifically to Australian Rules Football, but it's themes are universal. I share this poem on the eve of the 2017 Grand Final to decide the Premiership for this football season. My team, the Richmond Tigers have reached the play off to decide the ultimate victor. They have not contested the Grand Final match for 35 years. My hopes fly with them. This poem links two of my great loves -football and poetry... Life Cycle When children are born in Victoria they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots, having already begun a lifetime’s barracking. Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first while parents playfully tussle with them for possession of a rusk: Ah, he

Poetry Friday: The Safety Pin Poem

Poets not only write poetry, they also read poetry. In order to be able to write poetry, one must read it. Lots of poetry in fact...  I want to share a short little poem by Valerie Worth. I bought Valerie's book, 'All The Small Poems And Fourteen More,' while living and working in New York, some time back. It remains a personal favourite.  I love the way the poet shines a special light on everyday objects, transforming them into something unique and worthy of attention. Her close observations elevate her poems into the special category.  Each poem in the collection celebrates earthly wonders. From eggs to garbage, from potatoes to pockets, each object is given special attention in the form of short poems employing keen observations.  Valerie Worth demonstrates through her poems she totally understands the saying-'ideas exist in things.'  The poem I have chosen to share with you (one of my personal favourites) is titled, 'Safety Pin'. S af

Opposite Poems

O pp o s ite P oem s In his book, ' How To Write Poetry,'  Paul Janeczko presents the idea of opposite poems. Paul suggests they could also be referred to as antonym poems. This is wordplay and it's fun to try. Here are some examples Paul provides to help us see very clearly how these short little poems work. I think the opposite of chair Is sitting down with nothing there What is the opposite of kind? A goat that butts you from behind Paul Janeczko You will  notice the poems are written in rhyming couplets. They can be extended so long as you remember to write in couplets. Paul shows us how this is done. What is the opposite of new? Stale gum that's hard to chew A hot-dog roll as hard as rock Or a soiled and smelly forgotten sock You might notice that some of Paul's opposite Poems begin with a question. The remainder of the poem answer the question posed. Opposite poems are a challenge, but it is a challenge worth trying. Not e